Miami Beach Green Real Estate; California and the west coast are not the only green-conscious areas. Miami Beach and surrounding area homeowners are just as energy conscious. They recycle and conserve water and energy. Here are some energy tips that can help you make your home green:
- Save up to a third of your energy bill by purchasing EnergyStar Appliances.
- Insulate the attic and walls to prevent heat from coming in, thus making a massive difference in your power bill.
- Install programmable thermostats which automatically adjust your home’s temperature whether you are home or away. Keep your thermostat at 78 degrees. Clean and maintain your air filters every 90 days. It can increase air conditioner efficiency by 5 to 15 percent. Here in South Florida, you don’t need to worry about your heating bills like those in the Northeast or Midwest.
- Install ceiling fans and cut down on your air conditioning use. In the Florida winter months, you can get by by using your ceiling fans and keeping your windows open to enjoy the fresh air.
- Use green cleaning products. Look for cleaners in large containers or bulk packages, and buy concentrates that use less water. Look for products packaged in post-consumer recycled plastic or cardboard.
- Heat your pool with a solar cover or blanket. Use natural alternatives to pool cleaning chemicals as well.
- Use light paint colors outside. They will keep your home cooler inside. Look for low or no VOC paint. VOCs create ground-level ozone pollution and carry potential health risks.
- Recycle your grass by leaving clippings on the lawn when mowing. The clipping recycles and you save water use and fertilizer and waste disposal removal costs.
- Use caulking and weather stripping to prevent your air conditioning from escaping and moisture from coming into your home. Moisture is a big problem in South Florida, causing mold and other problems.
- You can also save costs on your energy bill by doing your laundry and running your dishwasher on off-peak hours between midnight and 6:00 a.m. Wash your clothes with cold water. Clean the lint filter in the dryer after each use.
- Cut down on your water consumption with low-flow toilets, showerheads, and recirculation systems in your hot water heaters. Turn the water off when you are brushing your teeth. You will save at least two gallons of water.
- Repair any plumbing leaks immediately.
- Install a drinking water filter under your kitchen sink. This way, you don’t have to buy bottled water, and you can save the environment by cutting down on plastics.
- You would be surprised at how much of savings installing insulated and impact-resistant windows can make. Insulated windows help with the noise as well.
- Install compact fluorescent light bulbs. They produce less heat and are more efficient.
- Plant leafy trees on the south and west side of your home to add shade.
- Use an electric lawn mower instead of gas.
Visitors and area residents appreciate the beautiful eco-friendly environment that Miami Beach real estate, Sunny Isles Beach real estate, South Beach real estate, and Bal Harbour real estate each have to offer. With miles and miles of expansive beachfront property consisting of luxury condos and homes in Miami Beach and the surrounding area, residents are conscious of preserving its extraordinary habitats and surroundings while enjoying the South Florida lifestyle.
Let’s go “green” Miami!